Become a Friend
The Friends of Ballarat Botanical Gardens encourage people of all ages to share in the responsibility for making decisions about this most important public space by becoming a member. We firmly believe that those people who assume some 'ownership' of the gardens will become more civic-minded. Here you will find commitment, communication and cooperation to keep things moving. If you are interested in lifelong learning about local horticulture in a most attractive setting then do come and join us. Perhaps the cultural and historical aspects of our public gardens are of more interest to you. Our active members enjoy the companionship of like-minded members in specialised interest groups. They are well-rewarded for their efforts by experiencing a general feeling of satisfaction and sometimes great pleasure and joy for having contributed to one or more of the many Friends' projects. You will be welcomed most warmly no matter what skills you have to offer. Other not-so-active members are just happy to make a financial contribution to a worthy cause and to be kept informed about activities taking place in the gardens via the newsletter.
Benefits enjoyed by members
- Access to the reference library and historical collection housed in the George Longley Building.
- Wellingtonia - the quarterly Friends' newsletter, sent by mail.
- Invitations to special events associated with the gardens.
Please show your current membership card to obtain the following discounts:
- Discount of 20% on plants from the Growing Friends nursery and the display trolley outside the Conservatory.
- Growmaster Ballarat Nursery, Woodman's Hill - 10%.
- Ballarat Wild Plants, 435 Joseph Street, Ballarat East (by appointment only, call 5333 5548) - 10%.
- Avalon Nursery, 41 Kopkes Road, Haddon, telephone 5342 4519 - 5%.
- Formosa Gardens Nursery, Leith Street, Ballarat - 5%.
Fees & Application Form
Membership Fees for 2019
1 year $25, 2 years $45, 5 years $85
1 year $20, 2 years $35, 5 years $65
1 year $35, 2 years $65, 5 years $125
(*Concession rates apply to holders of age pension or DVA cards. Note: discount for 5 years)
Ballarat Botanical Gardens Community Fund
The Ballarat Botanical Gardens Community Fund was established in July 2000 as a means of making tax deductible donations towards the next big project in the gardens - the replacement of the dilapidated 1950s fernery with a more exciting and attractive facility. Tax deductible donations of $2.00 or more will be used for improving or maintaining the botanical gardens.
For more information please contact the secretary.